Matthew Barney & Maggie Nelson In Conversation
No upcoming showtimes scheduled.
Director: Matthew Barney, Matthew Barney, Matthew Barney, Matthew Barney, Matthew Barney, Matthew Barney
2023 / 105min / 35mm
For one special screening only, Barney and writer Maggie Nelson will appear in conversation following this program comprised of re-mastered works representing the artist’s early forays into moving image-based art. This program includes the video elements of two works—Jim Otto Suite and OTTOshaft—from Barney’s OTTO Trilogy, inspired by Pro Football Hall of Famer James Edwin Otto of the Oakland Raiders, and an extract from the artist’s ongoing, multidisciplinary Drawing Restraint project, begun in 1987.
The program features excerpts from the following works, screened in chronological order:
1. Drawing Restraint 2, 1988 (single-channel installation) / Drawing Restraint 6, 1989 (single-channel installation)
2. Jim Otto Suite, 1991 (2 channels—OTTOblow and AUTOblow—from the 2-channel installation Jim Otto Suite)
3. Radial Drill, 1991 (one channel—Radial Drill—from the 2-channel installation Facility of Decline)
4. OTTOshaft, 1992 (two channels—AUTOdrone and OTTOdrone—from the 3-channel installation OTTOshaft)
5. Drawing Restraint 7, 1993(one channel—DRAW—from the 3-channel installation Drawing Restraint 7)
6. SECONDARY, 2023(one 5-channel clip—SOLO 1—from the 5-channel installation, SECONDARY)
Matthew Barney and Maggie Nelson in conversation following the screening of the short films.